RFR: GIT Package VCS

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Jun 11 09:43:39 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 10:23 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> 	I wonder. What are we trying to do here?
>
>   1) Make hacking on a stack of patches easier
>
>   2) Make it easier to re-base - i.e. new upstream tarball, re-generate
>      each of the patches against the new upstream, resolving any
>      conflicts
>
>   3) Allow someone to fork a set of patches? e.g. OLPC has their own
>      version of a package with an additional patch, but wants to keep
>      in sync with the Fedora version of the package
>
> 	I'd suggest quilt as a nice simple tool for (1). Stacked git (stg)
> looks like it makes sense if upstream uses git.

	I forgot about patch history, which others have mentioned. Very useful
in some cases.

	Perhaps it'd be worth prototyping this with stg:

  - "make stg-init" to create a new stg/git repo, import the current
    upstream tarball

  - "make stg-push" to push that repo to some well-defined location for
    each package

  - "make stg-rebase" to import the current source tarball into stg,
    re-push all patches and manually resolve any conflicts

  - "make stg-patches" to export all the patches from stg, add them to
    pkgs cvs and create $package.patches and $package.applies files,
    both of which can be %included from the spec file

Cheers,
Mark.