Fedora and Cross Compiling

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Mon Jun 11 22:18:02 UTC 2007

Joseph Sacco wrote:
> which is RPM based and extensible. crosstools "auto-magically" handles
> the recursive dependency problems that you mention

It's the doing-it-the-rpm-way that is a problem.  All from-scratch gcc
cross compiler-generating scripts that I have seen require glibc sources
as part of the compiler build.  In an rpm universe you only need headers
and libraries to build a package, not sources from some other package.
My scripts, Hans's scripts, and crosstool all have this limitation.
This is because gcc contains both an independent compiler and
libc-intertwined support libraries.

> Both are RPM based and extensible.

Doesn't seem like the sort of thing we could simply bolt onto the side
of the existing build system and enjoy.  It's possibly not even that big
of a change to the build system since it's just a slight twist on
something it's already doing.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com