Re: The updates firehose

Don Russell wrote:
Jesse Keating wrote:
Anybody else think we're issuing entirely /way/ too many updates? We've had 138 "stable" updates, and 177 current "testing" updates. If all those were to go stable, we're talking over 300 updates, in just over a week.

Seriously. We're drowning our users in updates. Are all of them really necessary? I feel like we've got this culture of update whatever/whenever coming from Extras where it was just fire and forget. While that might be fun for the maintainer, is it fun for the user? Is it fun for the user with a slow connection?

I'm a user (of my own system, so also an administrator).... here's my 2 cents...

I don't really care if there is a "flood of updates".... I interpret it as "people are busy" at making my system better. :-) or adding new things to make other systems better. :-)

What I *would* like (just started thinking about it) is a procmail recipe to divide the announcement e-mails into "installed" and "not installed" packages.

For example... I received an e-mail with this subject:
Fedora 7 Update: xorg-x11-server-1.3.0.0-8.fc7

Thats great... very consistent subject patterns, but from a programming point of view, how do I know where the program name ends (so I can use it with an rpm -q command to see if it is installed), and where the version number starts (so I can compare it with the results of rpm -q)? It would help is there was a blank between program name and version number... or even more explicit:
Fedora 7 Update: xorg-x11-server Version: 1.3.0.0-8.fc7

ThenI can easily just grab everything between "Update:" and "Version:" for the program name, and everything aftet "Version:" for the version number.

Ideally, I'll have procmail divide these announcements into three groups:
1 - program is installed and announcement is advising of newer version (yum should pick those up automatically when the nightly yum runs) 2 - program is installed and already at/beyond the announced version (i.e yum update beat the announcement) 3 - program is not installed, but I can look at the announcement to see if it's something I might be interested in

As I started looking into this more, I realized the needed information (package name, version, etc) are already nicely formatted in the message body.... so, no need to add a blank in the subject line material. :-)