Fedora Rel-Eng Meeting Recap 2007-JUN-11

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Jun 12 18:00:35 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram (sundaram at fedoraproject.org) said:
>>> You're not doing this *before they get a chance to help*, effectively
>>> saying they're a second class delivery method for their users. What's
>>> the point of them mirroring for their users if their users are going
>>> to use their bandwidth to try and jump on a torrent earlier?
>> I don't know what you mean by "their users" but if it is say a
>> university then they can make it available in their LAN when they have
>> the bits and not to the entire world for initial few days before the
>> announcement.
>>
>>  What? You're expecting every mirror to reconfigure special access rules
>>> based on IP ranges or domain names just because you want to torrent ISOs
>>> early? How is that at all practical or sensible?
>> You misunderstood.  See above.
>
> No, I didn't. That comment still applies *exactly the same*. And if you
> don't understand that, I'm not sure why I'm having this discussion.

Gee,

Somehow this reminds me of a discussion me and Ralf had with Rahul about a week
ago. I believe I made a comment much like this one. Anyone else see a pattern here?

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

Rahul,

When I saw the Fedora 7 Faq on the wiki I thought "good work!", so please don't
think I do not appreciate your contributions, really I do, but ... (that has al
already been said).

Talking about the Fedora 7 Faq, each time I want to reference it I type "Fedora
7 Faq" in google, as I can't find it through the wiki. Maybe there should be a
link on the frontpage, or atleast under the http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ
page, as that is were you go if you press the FAQs link on the mainpage.