fedora for ARM

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh at wantstofly.org
Tue Jun 12 19:45:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 10:39:54AM -0600, Brendan Conoboy wrote:

> >I would fully agree with the sentiment that cross-compiling the entire
> >distro as _the_ standard way of maintaining the arch package repository
> >is not a realistic scenario and will likely never be.  Preferably, I
> >would like to just keep doing this entirely natively.
>
> I hesitate to say never, prefering to invoke the forseeable future.
> Wherever native builds are a viable option, it makes sense to use them.
>  Wherever cross builds are a viable option, it makes sense to use them.

What I said was that I don't think that cross-building packages will
ever supersede natively building packages as the preferred package
building method.  I don't really see this changing any time soon --
even if I'd like to be able to build more packages cross.

> >It appears a lot less effort to maintain a set of patches to make some
> >limited subset of packages (say, 300 packages) cross-compilable,
> >though.  In some cases, we'll have to do this anyway.
>
> Indeed- if you can simply cross build the packages at the top of the
> dependency tree (kernel, libc, coreutils, init, bash/sh), you are in
> much better shape.

ACK.

> What's more, they are typically very cross friendly.

My experience is somewhat different, but OK. :-)

One thing I wondered about, are your (cross-) diffs available
somewhere?