Re: Ralink binary firmwares

2007/6/13, Hans de Goede <j w r degoede hhs nl>:
Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 12:28:27AM +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > What is the reasoning behind not bundling the binary firmware for
>  > Ralink wireless devices with Fedora 7. AFAIK (and I could be wrong),
>  > these are redistributable firmwares, and are not considered "non-free"
>  > as they are uploaded to the device itself.
>
> Do you have a pointer to a license for those firmwares suggesting
> they're redistributable ?  Because there's nothing on the download
> page, or in the zip file that I can see.

Has anybody actually asked ralink under which conditions they can be distributed?

I don't know if notting was taking care of this?
I proposed to intiate contact,
but i'm not well aware about what to ask in such cases...
If someone wants to contact them, here is the link!
http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Contact.html

They claims to support the linux community - they should answears !
quote : "Ralink is very active in the Linux community,"
from http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html

Nicolas (kwizart)

I think it would be a good idea to create a standard letter for this and then
mail (maybe even snail mail) it to ralink and to others listed on this page:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/FirmWare

Regards,

Hans