Re: F8devel - user configuration storage locations

Matej Cepl wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 07:10:39 +1000, David Timms scripst:
I think this should be tidied up by creating a single directory at the
users home folder to store all setting/configs that apps make. - The
folder should not be hidden.
- It should have a default text file indicating that it contains hidden
files that store settings for installed applications. - It should be
well named: configuration | config | application_config ? - All packages
to use this folder

I see some problems:
- breaks FHStandard ?
- every app would need to have a one time adjustment and package rebuilt
?

Some advantages:
- not mixing user data folders and application config in the same top
level {user home} folder.
- less files to read / show / search when apps ask for the home dir file
list
- easily move/copy all user configs to backup or a different machine

Ehm, before suggesting something, it would be wise to make a little research. Maybe you would find http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-
spec/latest/ and related other standards on http://www.freedesktop.org/
wiki/Specifications/ .
Thanks, Matej, I'm sure to take a look on the weekend, I am probably missing something obvious.

DaveT.