Re: End of caching-nameserver package

Bernardo Innocenti napsal(a):
By the way, I always wanted to ask... we use caching-nameserver
because the libc resolver can only do per-process caching versus
system-wide caching, right?

If so, wouldn't nscd be a lighter weight daemon for this purpose?
Of course. nscd caching all "traffic" which is related to nsswitch (host, passwd, services etc). Main difference between nscd and named is that named is heavy-weight reference DNS server and nscd is here only for nss caching purposes.

Adam