Re: End of caching-nameserver package

Callum Lerwick napsal(a):
On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 09:05 -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
By the way, I always wanted to ask... we use caching-nameserver
because the libc resolver can only do per-process caching versus
system-wide caching, right?

If so, wouldn't nscd be a lighter weight daemon for this purpose?

dnsmasq is specifically designed for this purpose, and in fact upstream
has added dbus support to it specifically so it can integrate nicely
with NetworkManager. Why we're not using it, I don't know.
Also BIND have intelligent D-BUS integration (-D parameter). If you run dhcdbd daemon and named simulateously named ask dhcdbd for forwarders and use it for forwarding. It's perfect solution for laptops - you get forwarders through DHCP and dhcdbd tells named about them so you have fully working caching-nameserver. Of course dnsmasq could be alternative solution for people who hates BIND. You could package it and start maintain :)

Adam