random comments about secondary arch proposal

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Jun 15 09:43:07 UTC 2007

On 14.06.2007 19:40, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> Primary arch definition: need to make sure that part of the
> responsibility is that individual maintainers are required to make sure
> their stuff builds on all those arches.

-1 -- Fedora Extras had lots of maintainers that are no programmers
and/or have only access to i386.

Those maintainers are Fedora maintainers these days. Saying they are
"required to make sure their stuff builds on all primary arches" would
increase the burden on the maintainer drastically. I think that's
totally the wrong way forward.

Further: if I would read something like that before becoming a
contributor I'd say "hey, that's hard stuff; I know my knowledge is not
enough to do that should I even run into a situation where something
doesn't build on PPC; well, then I won't become a contributor for
Fedora. Have fun guys, bye".

Just as for secondary arches there should be SIGs/teams which a
maintainer could ask for help in case they need help. That already works
quite well for PPC (thanks to dwmw2 for all his work).

CU
thl