Automating pam_keyring...

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jun 15 21:50:55 UTC 2007

Jon Nettleton <jon.nettleton <at> gmail.com> writes:
> wow proposed mixed desktop relations.  How risque.
>
> Probably if we write this into authconfig we should think how this
> should work.  Maybe an advanced option.  I have definitely had e-mails
> from very upset kde people that were very upset that pam_keyring was
> starting up gnome_keyring_daemon in their session.  Just something to
> keep in mind.

This is indeed a problem, if people don't have anything using
gnome_keyring_daemon, they'll hate having it autostarted, if they do have
something using it, they'll complain if it doesn't get autostarted. You can't
win. :-(

Well, maybe pam_keyring could be taught to just do nothing (not error or
anything) if gnome_keyring is not installed and the package not made to require
it. It might still get dragged in due to some wacky indirect dependencies and
end up autostarted even where not needed that way though.

Or maybe the hack of having the pam_keyring scriptlet change the pam
configuration is really the way to go, then users could just install it when
needed and leave it off where not needed or wanted, it does sound like a pretty
hackish solution to me though.

        Kevin Kofler