Fedora and Cross Compiling

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 22:39:47 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> I prefer using <target>-gcc-*.i386.rpm

Likewise.

> If sys-rooting such a toolchain, it's toolchain's target-libs could be packaged into a
> <target>-sys-root-*.noarch.rpm

To add a little granularity to the discussion, I'm going to point out
that there are (at least) two camps of people who want cross compilers
in Fedora:

1) Those who want cross compilers for nifty gadgets, generally not
running Linux at all.  Having a <target>-sys-root-*.noarch.rpm such as
Ralf suggests makes sense in this context.

2) Those who want cross compilers that target other linux architectures
such as arm, ppc, s390, etc.  Having a <target>-sys-root-*.noarch.rpm
does not make sense in this context.  That is because you want to work
with and make packages for your target arch rather than nebulous binary
blobs.

I'm particularly interested in #2, but believe Fedora can accommodate
both.  It's also a logical line along which to split package
maintainership duties since the tools in question are used for such very
different purposes.

> What I am doing is aiming at cross-building target-binaries, not target
> packages/rpms.

Yep.  Ok, I concede your noarch binary blob answer for non-linux targets.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com