Re: F8devel - Review HAL policy about hiding partitions

On 6/16/07, Naheem Zaffar <naheemzaffar gmail com> wrote:
Also, is /etc/fstab not on it's way out? I thought the plan was for it
to be autogenerated at some point?

You aren't going to be able to get rid of manual edits of fstab
without a significant overhaul of a lot of things... the init system
included.  There are a lot of real world usage cases where a
desktop-centric single-user interface design isn't going to work too
well as the only way to deal with system-wide mountpoints covering all
possible configuration of filesystem types that mount knows about.

I very much want to see PolicyKit fielded as a desktop oriented way of
dealing with storage from a home or single user system. And I surely
would love to see all desktops embrace it as a technology. But even in
the ideal hugs and kisses future of unanimous desktop integration we
have to keep the flexibility of manual edits for less mundane usages.

-jef