FESCo elections

Brian Pepple bpepple at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 20 13:31:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 19:03 +1200, Nigel Jones wrote:
> Is it me, or has the purpose of FESCo got lost?
>
> My understanding, FESCo (Fedora Extras Steering Committee) is to steer
> issues WRT to the Fedora Distribution [1] (formally the Fedora Extras
> Distribution), it makes sense to only allow current packagers as *they*
> are the ones that or contributing to the distribution.
>
> FESCo has typically dealt with issues such as:
> * Patent issues
> * Package naming
> * Static library issues
> * Approving changes to packaging guidelines (already agreed to by the
> packaging committee)
> * Approval of new sponsors (for cvsextras)
>
> Have a look at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Development/Schedule
>
> Fedora Documentation has FDSCo (Fedora Documentation Steering
> Committee), which last I checked does not report to FESCo, I believe
> they report to the Board, like FESCo (?)
>
> So no, I'm not sure what advantage there would be to having non
> packagers in FESCo, ditto with having non documentation writers in
> FDSCo, by all means, attend the meetings, but the casting vote I'm not
> sure about.

FESCo is taking on new responsibilities due to the merge of Core/Extras.
Some of the responsibilities include overseeing:
     1. Features
     2. Theory of Packaging (Packaging Committee)
     3. Practice of Packaging (Old FESCo responsibilities)
     4. Release Engineering (rel-eng team)
     5. QA

For more information, please refer to:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2007-June/msg00022.html

Later,
/B
--
Brian Pepple <bpepple at fedoraproject.org>

BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B  CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E