Root filesystem encryption update

Thomas Swan thomas.swan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 16:23:13 UTC 2007

On 6/20/07, Peter Jones <pjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> I'm *sure* we're putting the cart before the horse -- that's what Jeremy
> and I have been getting at.  It's possible to solve these problems, but
> there are other things that need to be done before we'll have a good
> solution.  More on that below.
>
> > A user would be thawing from hibernation on a machine with an
> > *existing* installation. Therefore language, and keymaps would have
> > been chosen (during installation) prior to the hibernate operation.
>
> Yeah, we can definitely store something that's right /some/ of the time.
> Just be aware that there are lots of corner cases.  As an example, I
> often suspend my laptop before driving to work in the morning.  When it
> resumes, it's in a docking station and there's a different keyboard,
> with a somewhat different key map.
>
> It's not that getting a password from the user on resume is an
> intractable problem, but that there are steps to be taken before we can
> solve it in a way that maintains the level of quality and support
> expected of Fedora.  We've got (some of) the filesystem technology to do
> this, and that's one piece.  Another piece is getting video mode setting
> into the kernel so we can display the graphics required for non-European
> languages early on in a cleaner way than e.g. svgalib, without having to
> pull in all of X.  There's work going forward on this.

This was something I was something of which I was completely unaware.

Point being, it's a complex feature, and a lot of the traffic on the
> list seems to ignore many aspects of why.

Excellent points.  I'm currently at an impasse with the anaconda screens;
however, a small video and step-by-step mockup should be up shortly on my
page.

Is there anything I can do/explore to help move this for Fedora 8?