Re: Inconsistent package tags

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 10:22:33 Brandon Holbrook wrote:
> Couldn't we tag all packages built *from this point on* with f8?  New
> builds have to bump the EVR anyway, so 2.f8 is still greater than
> 1.fc7.  The whole "f8 is rpm-less than fc7" argument is only valid if
> you assume no other changes to a package's EVR when being rebuilt, but
> AFAIK there's never been a package rebuilt in fedoraland where the
> disttag was the only thing that was bumped.  Granted, that means there
> would be a mix of 'fc' and 'f' packages, but that's no more tacky than
> our current fc6+fc7 mix.

Many cases the same version-release were built on multiple branches.
frobitz-1.2 comes out and we want to release it across all of Fedora.
Therefor we can have frobitz-1.2-1%{dist} on each branch and it will
automagically calculate to

frobitz-1.2-1.fc6
frobitz-1.2-1.fc7
frobitz-1.2-1.fc8

Now, if we used your suggestion and made it just f8, suddenly the
frobitz-1.2-1.f8 version is /lower/ than the frobitz-1.2-1.fc7 version.
Broken upgrade path.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora