portage vs yum

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Jun 27 21:14:47 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 09:10:57PM +0000, Thufir wrote:

> I'd like to see Fedora consider some form of portage because that would,

There is already something along that, recompiling the srpm with
rpmbuild --rebuild, for example.

> hopefully, increase the number of packages.  All other things being
> equal, ebuilds are, apparently, easier to write.

No, they aren't. It could be argued that spec file and ebuilds are
easier to write than the corresponding debian files, but in my opinion
spec files are not harder nor easier to write than ebuilds.

What happens is that gentoo ebuilds are written with less care to
integration than fedora specfiles, that whats make them easier to
write in my opinion.

--
Pat