portage vs yum

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Jun 28 12:32:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 01:01:25PM +0200, Jochen Schlick wrote:

> spec:Requires/BuildRequires...) Therefore I can't see that ebuilds
> are looser integrated.

It isn't the ebuilds per se that are less integrated, but the gentoo
packaging. If you want an example you can have a look at the wdm
packaging (this is something I know because I maintain it in fedora).
In gentoo it is simply installed, in Fedora I try to use a fedora
background, an Xsession script that is the same than for gdm/kdm/...,
and pre post-scripts that are the same than xdm, and lastly allow
to use /usr/share/xsessions/ for the window manager lists.

--
Pat