portage vs yum

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 28 19:14:53 UTC 2007

Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 11:40:27AM -0400, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
>> Olivier Galibert <galibert at pobox.com> wrote:
>>> Well, Fedora is becoming more and more hostile to the sysadmin
>>> population as time goes too, so...
>> If so, that is a (meta)bug well worth fixing... Details, please?
>
> Well, from my point of view from a part-time sysadmin in a lab with
> 200+ computers to handle, the two main problems are:
> - 6-months release cycle, with reinstall needed

6 month release cycles are not a new change and shouldn't be cited as
"increasingly hostile". If you consider shorter release cycles as not
appropriate for you, Fedora has always been that way.

Reinstall is not needed. You can do upgrades via Anaconda. Upgrades via
the package managers might not be official supported but it is
definitely doable and I have done for several releases successfully.

> For the first two questions, "Core" was a godsend, and "Prime" is
> nowhere near it.

Actually the renamed "Prime" spin which is called "Fedora" spin is very
close to what "Core" was. That is explicitly the purpose of that spin.

> At fc3 or fc5 time, the delay before eol-ing was two years and not
> one,

Incorrect. Fedora updates cycle was about 9 months and extended to about
13 months before the release of Fedora 7.

Rahul