Quota per directory

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Thu Mar 22 21:42:18 UTC 2007

On Thursday 22 March 2007 10:15am, Oisin Feeley wrote:
> On 3/21/07, Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 March 2007 02:14am, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> > > Coming from a systems administration background, I was very surprised
> > > to find out that fedora (well Linux actually) doesn't have a per
> > > directory quota. It is very common and needed IMHO to have a quota per
> > > directory, as the directory basically represents a project some people
> > > are working on. One would want to make sure that a certain project
> > > would not consume all disk space. Only XFS seemed to have per "project"
> > > quota (I even think the Linux implementation doesn't have that!)
> >
> > Linux "only" has per-filesystem quota support.  You're asking for what's
> > called "tree quotas" support.
>
> What would be wrong with the OP using LVM to set up defined logical
> volumes per project?

Nothing.

I'm not advocating either approach in that small snippet that you quoted.
What I was saying is that the feature the OP was asking about is called tree
quotas and that Linux doesn't have it.  Linux only has per-filesystem.  I
said nothing of where that filesystem resides.

If your intent was to suggest that having to create separate filesystems to
set up separate quotas wasn't a problem because LVM makes that so easy, I
totally agree with you.

> The quota is then enforced, it sits on top of
> standard ext3

Or reiserfs or JFS or XFS or JFFS2 or ...; quotas in Linux are not restricted
to any filesystem type.

> and provides the possibility of expanding/changing the
> quotas in the future while bypassing the need to do the tree-quota
> stuff.

Absolutely.  LVM does make this kind of configuration (relatively) easy.  The
only hard part is managing quotas for 1000 users on 40 per project
filesystems.  In that case, do group quotas instead for the per-project
directories and only set up per user quotas to handle "bad citizens".
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.