Announcing Fedora 7 Test 2 (6.91)

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Thu Mar 1 19:01:09 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 19:54 +0100, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> Dnia 01-03-2007, czw o godzinie 12:49 -0500, Adam Jackson napisał(a):
> > You say this as though there were only one X server memory leak.
> >
> > Or as though you had a working testcase.
> >
> > Or as though it were actually X's fault instead of some boneheaded
> > application you happen to be running.
> [..]
>
> Run any gecko application (firefox, galeon, epiphany) and open page with
> short refresh time (I have usualy openned page with system monitoring
> like mrtg or zabbix) and start observe groving X server memory
> consumption.

That's Gecko, not the X server.  It has pretty aggressive image caching
and stores the pixmaps on the server, not in its own memory.  If you
shut down that process and the X server returns to something sane it's
not an X leak.  (It's even arguable that if it doesn't shrink it's still
not an X leak but is a fragmented allocator, but that's another
discussion.)

--Chris