X server memory leak ? (Re: Announcing Fedora 7 Test 2 (6.91))

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek at zie.pg.gda.pl
Mon Mar 5 09:13:39 UTC 2007

Dnia 04-03-2007, nie o godzinie 18:58 -0600, Callum Lerwick napisał(a):
[..]
> Also irritating is millions of javascripts and flash adverts and
> animated gifs eating up assloads of CPU in tabs that aren't even
> visible.

But are you talking about refreshing pages ?
In my case problematic refreshing pages contains png but seems it
doesn't matter it is png or gif of jpeg files and I can reproduce this
also on by hand reloaded page. I can reproduce this also on opened png
file in firefox/galeon by refreshing this using ctrl-r.
I'm save single png file from zabbix map page (~40KB 1000x1000 png
file), generate copy of this file in jpeg and gif and open this files in
separated tabs (png, jpeg and gif).
Each time ctrl-r press on each tab causes in my case eats next chunk of
memory by X server.

Before refresh:
 3253 root      16   0 1480m 845m 8148 S   12 42.0 787:18.00 Xorg

After five time ctrl-r:
 3253 root      15   0 1480m 864m 8148 R    8 42.9 787:30.59
Xorg

RES groves ~19MB. This png file have 1000x1000 pixels and X display
depth is 24bpp. 1000x1000x3 = ~3MB .. so looks like buffer for keep this
previous version of this files was not released.

Can you check this on your system using above scenario ?
Try to open gif/png file which will take big amount of memory in
uncompressed form (1MB or more).

kloczek