VNC development plan - discuss

Paul Michael Reilly pmr at pajato.com
Tue Mar 6 22:46:34 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> I have situations where I would very much like to login on a local
> display set some things up, lock the screen, and then log back in
> remotely to it over vnc without the local display becoming active and
> accepting keyboard/mouse inputs.  Right now on fc6, vino doesn't
> provide this sort of experience as an option, and I'm falling back to
> using a standard Xvnc controlled desktop, dealing with the hardware
> specific permissions issues which result as needed.

I do this as a matter of course every day.  I set up a VNC session on
the server such that it securely tunnels to a few machines that I will
likely connect from, including the local machine.  Then I use terminal
server client to connect to the VNC session from the various client
systems.  It is really sweet.  With FUSA it even gets better.  I set up
VNC sessions to multiple machines using different accounts and switch
between them very quickly with FUSA.  As the only user on client
systems, I turn off session locking entirely so switching between
(remote) sessions is a sub-second operation.  Perfect.

-pmr