VNC development plan - discuss

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 07:54:10 UTC 2007

Adam Tkac napsal(a):
> Hi all,
>
> I did thinking about next development on vnc bits. Fedora 7 has three
> vnc servers - GNOME's vino, KDE's krfb and headless Xvnc with module
> to X. I'm not sure that we really need three different vnc servers in
> distribution. krfb and vino are very simillar. Both of these export
> real display. I think we could try substitute this two servers by one
> - for example x11vnc (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/). x11vnc has
> more features than actual "real desktop" servers. So two programs
> could be removed and one added => cost of maintaining and bugfixing
> could be lower. In next stage we could discuss about standardized RFB
> protocol library which could be used by all vnc servers in distro. In
> the end we could have one rfb library which will be used by all
> servers (and viewers), one real server, one virtual server and X
> module. What do you think about this idea?
>
> Regards, Adam

Btw it exists project on sourceforge
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/xrfb) which is in planning stage. It
will be complete linux vnc implementation(server + viewer) which will
bring best things+ideas from all exists vncs. Everyone who is interested
in development on this project or have some good ideas could write me mail

-A-