Translations: String freezes, CVS converging, Packaging

Thomas Canniot thomas.canniot at laposte.net
Wed Mar 7 12:21:46 UTC 2007

Le mardi 06 mars 2007 à 22:02 +0000, Dimitris Glezos a écrit :
> Hi all.
>
> The L10n project has been discussing for a while now (also at FOSDEM with
> mspevack) about ways to improve our translation processes. We estimate that more
> than 1 out of 3 users uses a non-English desktop.
>
> First of all, let's clarify here that for the time being, we are referring only
> to applications that Fedora is upstream (anaconda, system-config-*, and
> basically most of the non-deprecated stuff that appears on [1]).
>
> [1]:http://i18n.redhat.com/cgi-bin/i18n-status?page=status&locale=es&branch=HEAD&essential=0
>
> The plan in mind includes three actions.
>

> ## String freezes
>
> For F7, the RelEng team has introduced string freezes in the schedule [2]. This
> means that application strings for F7 should be complete *by 19/3*. Translations
> made after this date (and before the freeze) should be guaranteed to be included
> in the release.
>
>   [2]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Core/Schedule
>
> To do this we need to try not to add new strings after the freeze and let the
> L10n folks know if they need to do so. Also, maintainers should repackage before
> each release (and after the translation freeze) without a bug needing to be
> opened.

Indeed, this would definitely help translators to have a
translation-polished release. What do developers think about this ?

> ## CVS convergence
>
> Right now translations are done on `i18n.redhat.com`. This requires contributors
> to have one account on the Fedora Account System (FAS) and a different
> one for translations. With the merge of Core and Extras, now is a good
> point to get rid of this distinction.
>
> The plan is to move all PO files on Fedora infrastructure under a new
> CVS group (cvsl10n) [3]. An email will be sent to all translators to create a
> FAS account if they don't have one and join the cvs group. Members of the L10n
> team and ambassadors will help with this process.
>
>   [3]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Projects/CVSInfrastructure

This is a good idea as well. Even if both projects may look different,
they are closely tight : at least, by the infrastructure. Translators
also help a lot improving and correcting Docs during their translations.

> At this point we could discuss the idea for Fedora to act as upstream for
> the translations of outside-hosted projects such as yum, smolt, and
> pungi. The proposal is to host and maintain those project's
> translations with the existing Fedora L10n community.

I agree as well and I have been waiting YUM translation for a while,
without having be heard it seems. I would add that yum translation
project seems to be stopped for a unknown reason.

> ## Packaging translations
>
> One final plan (and probably the one that needs most discussion) is about
> changing the way we package translations. Right now PO files live inside the
> application and are packaged there (GNOME-style). The plan is to move the PO
> files in to their own directory and distinct package [4] (KDE-style langpacks).
>
>   [4]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Projects/TranslationsPackage
>
> Cons: L10n team should maintain a package (or many) and packages should be
> altered to accomodate the different locations of PO files.
>
> Pros (many): increased modularity and maintenance (L10n repackages at
> will). App packages will be smaller in size -- we could provide
> one langpack or different ones per language.

This is definitely a good idea as well and would give translators the
possibilities to be more independent and would avoid them always being
asking maintainers to update their translations.

Thanks Dimitri :)