RPATH status

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Mar 9 14:18:36 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 09.03.2007 14:43, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:04:27 +0100, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
>>
>>> On a x86_64 full installation there are 470 binaries with /usr/lib64
>>> in RPATH. That looks like a lot of work to have this fixed and
>>> maintained. Maybe a chrpath script could be used in the build process,
>>> and remove automatically the obvious cases like /usr/lib64,
>>> /usr/local/lib and @RPATH@ ?
>> The right way would be to file bugs against the packages, I think.
>
> The right way IMHO would be to enable the rpath checks on the buildsys,
> so the build fails if rpath show up that are not whitelisted in the spec
> file. Then way people notice the rpath and in most cases fix them; new
> rpath further get noticed immediately, and we all save time as we don#t
> have to file bugs :-) .
>
> The checks are *iirc* enabled for the Extras builders. We should make
> sure they get enabled for the new Fedora builders, too.

rpmlint catches this, I'm sitll in favor of running rpmlint after a build,
check the output against a whitelist of allowed output and if there is any
output not in the whitelist, fail the build. We would need to integrate the
same use of rpmlint in make <arch> from makefile.common then (or maybe first).

Regards,

Hans