announce: readahead-1.4

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Sun Mar 11 12:25:18 UTC 2007

CL> Mainly what I'm trying to say is this flash crap Microsoft is
CL> hyping as "cache" in Vista is a total farce. Flash is SLOW.

Each flash cell is slow. You can read and write in parallel to almost
as many as you want.

The 32GB drive you can buy today reportedly does better than 50MB/s in
both directions. I bet that beats out almost every other notebook
drive for almost all non-benchmark workloads.

As soon as Linux gets decent support for it, I'm going to put an 8GB
(or better) SD card in my laptops card reader and move as much as
possible there. Right now the options are either: put root on the SD
card, which means I probably need to boot off of it, or put the ext3
journal on the card -- how well does ext3 handle an 8GB journal with
data=journal?

/Benny