yum 3.1.4 and repository medata handling

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Mar 11 22:48:51 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 04:03 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> The latest version of yum (3.1.4) in rawhide seems to be behaving rather
>> inconsistently when it comes to dealing with repository metadata. I am
>> cleaning the cache and metadata and rerunning different commands like
>> yum info <package> and yum update to verify.
>>
>> On some instances it downloads the compressed sqlite database directly.
>>   In other instances it downloads and parses the compressed xml file.
>> Sometimes it downloads and parses the compressed xml file and then
>> proceeds to download the compressed sqlite database too. It seems to be
>> occurring randomly. Is there any explanation why. I cant see any reason
>> for yum to redundantly download the exact same metadata is the form of
>> both xml file and sqlite database.
>
> are you using a mirror list? It'll download what it can find based on
> what mirror list it has.

Yes. I am using the default configuration from a F7 test 2 live CD
installation + the latest updates. I understand getting xml or sqlite
based on what is available on the mirror but I dont quite understand why
it would download both files. It seems logical to just download the
sqlite database if it is available and skip the xml file completely in
that instance.

> not by my measurements.

Guess i misread something then.

Rahul