yum-deltarpm (Was Thread Hijack - Our package management GUI tools need improvement)

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 01:34:51 UTC 2007

Horst H. von Brand wrote:
>> If that same person had the yum-deltarpm plugin enabled, they would only
>> have to download 638 MB.  That is *including* all the updates that don't
>> have drpms because the savings isn't enough.
>
> What about people who decide to install OOo and want the latest version
> later on?

The existing full RPM on mirrors would not change.

yum-deltarpm allows more rapid acquisition a desired RPM, if the
specific transition you want is available as a drpm file.  The common
cases would be provided in drpm.  If you are doing something uncommon,
then you likely will just download the full RPMS like you would today.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com