speed of yum depsolver

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Mon Mar 12 17:58:19 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 18:43 +0100, dragoran wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> >> how is this
> >>
> >> Complaining testers expect rawhide to work is not respectful. Testers
> >> are doing their testers work, and that includes bugging developers to
> >> fix their stuff.
> >>
> >> Reporting problems is un-fun enough without getting this kind of
> >> response. There's one thing worse than grumpy testers it's having to do
> >> your testing yourself.
> >>

> > There are multiple ways to report problems.. some work better than
> > others:
> >
> > 1) I noticed a slow down in yum recently? I looked through bugzilla
> > and did not see this, and I didn't find any mention on (xyz-list) that
> > there would be known regressions. Could anyone else confirm they are
> > seeing this.. just in case its my system testing?
> >
> > 2) This is complete Bull. I try to test your $^%# software, and yum
> > just takes forever. Fix your software or I walk. [which while not the
> > exact words, seems to be the tone taken in some of this discussion.]
> >

> I only started this discussion because I wanted to know if the
> optimization work will be started before the feature freeze. seth
> answerd with a simple yes.
> no need for such a discussion at all.

Dragoran,
 Yes, your question was apropos and while my answer was terse it was not
intended as rude. This last week my life has been spent dealing with
checking systems for DST-compliance and looking for a new place to
live. :) So, I've not had much time to spend on yum depsolver work. We
WILL have it functional before the release or we WILL fallback. There
isn't an option, imo.

-sv