Yum repository indices broken by reorganization

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Mar 13 14:35:28 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 00:57:28 seth vidal wrote:
> I'm confused as to what happened.
>
> you made a path like:
>
> foo/bar/RPMS
>
> then you moved the packages from
> foo/bar/RPMS
> to foo/bar/
>
> and you wonder why the metadata made for the pkgs in foo/bar/RPMS
> doesn't work?
>
> or is there something else going on here that I've missed?

As discussed on IRC there is slightly more to this.

A bunch of packages exist in foo/bar/RPMS, and repodata gets created at the
foo/ level.  This repodata is cached by many clients during regular
operations.

Then, some new packages are added, some removed, and content is moved from
foo/bar/RPMS/ to just foo/bar/ and repodata is recreated at the foo/ level.

My best guess here is that since many of the package checksums did not change,
only their location, yum is using the cached information about those packages
when it comes time to retrieve them.  Something like "I'm reading in new
metadata to cache, oh I already know about this package move on to the next"
and the new url to the file is never added to the cache.  Of course, this is
purely speculation and I could be completely off base (:

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora