User directories integration - request for help

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Mar 15 21:04:09 UTC 2007

Le vendredi 16 mars 2007 à 01:38 +0530, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
> nodata wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 15.03.2007, 16:00 -0400 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
>
> >> Any you continually switch languages ?!
> >>

> > Yes.
>
> Why do you continuously switch languages and how does a rename affect you?
>
> > Renaming a user's directories doesn't seem to be "The UNIX Way" TM
>
> Traditional Unix systems never had to deal with many of the modern
> desktop requirements so it's high time we stopped citing the "the unix
> way" as a excuse not to change anything. All modern Linux desktop
> systems happily automount devices which is distinctly not unixy either.
> If there are real practical reasons just cite that specifically.

You need to expose an invariant namespace in addition to the user-chosen
one (with hard/sym links one way or the other)

Every app, script or process that does not run for a single user within
his session will have trouble with user-specific namespaces. (yes every
user on a single system won't use the same layout)

--
Nicolas Mailhot