User directories integration - request for help

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Mar 16 08:57:33 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 15:18 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Jeu 15 mars 2007 13:57, Dimi Paun a écrit :
> >
> > On Thu, March 15, 2007 09:46, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> >> I don't know, a PNG or JPG to open/save with GIMP may be expected in
> >> PICTURES but XCF is more likely to go in DOCUMENTS.
> >> And probably the same for Inkscape: SVG is a document and PNG a picture.
> >
> > Not necessarily. IMO PICTURES/DOCUMENTS is not to be decided blindly
> > on the extension of the file, that's useless, but rather on the
> > intended use for the file.
> >
> > In other words, it seems to me that PICTURES should really hold things
> > that qualify as photos.
>
> IMHO PICTURES should be PHOTOS period. The file type is less important
> that the usage pattern:
> - everything that comes from the outside (mail, internet) -> DOWNLOAD
> - files I work on -> DOCUMENTS
> - static media content library -> MUSIC, PHOTOS, VIDEO
>
> That means media editors look in DOCUMENTS, media players in MUSIC,
> PHOTOS, VIDEO, and internet tools in DOWNLOAD

For those that especially like this, xdg-user-dirs also has translations
for Photos and photos, so if you change /etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults to
have:
PICTURES=Photos
Then users will get a translated photos directories for the PICTURES
location.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a scarfaced day-dreaming werewolf plagued by the memory of his family's
brutal murder. She's a tortured French-Canadian archaeologist from the wrong
side of the tracks. They fight crime!