User directories integration - request for help

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Mar 16 13:57:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 09:48 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 09:33 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 08:52 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> > > Hi.

> > > OSX gets this right, from what I remember. The applications folder is
> > > always called "Applications" on disk, but the displayed name in Finder
> > > (and open/save dialogs) is specific to the language settings of the
> > > current user.
> >
> > YES, please, DO NOT rename directories in different languages! Madness
> > will come out of it.
> >

> [...]
ACK.

> > If you really want to do it, choose a fixed name and change Gnome/Kde to
> > understand how to display these "special" dirs names into a localized
> > way (maybe with an option to disable this thing).
>
> The tradeoffs of translation-on-disk vs. translation-only-in-ui have
> been discussed for years. Please don't let this thread devolve into
> rehashing all the arguments for the umpteenth time.

Well, provided what you seem to plan, whether you like it or not: Please
do, time is due to re-heat this discussion!

Alternatively, if you want to avoid this discussion:

Implement a 3-state user's choice (With a) being the default):
a) Don't translate directories
b) Translate their GUI representation only.
c) Translate and move them around wheneven i18n is being changed.

Ralf