User directories integration - request for help

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Mar 17 02:58:36 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 20:45 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 19:29 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > No. Just go read xdg-list archives if you are interested in the
> > > arguments.
> > Frankly speaking, I am not interested in arguing, I wanted to hear
> > yours,
>
> I think the point was that the arguments are already on that list where,
> for the record, highly respected GNOME, KDE, XFCE developers already
> reviewed this without objections.

Well, I am long enough into this business to have an opinion on my own.

> > because I for one find "i18n'ed" dirs utterly stupid.
>
> You are entitled to your opinion as is anyone here. Keep in mind it's
> just not constructive, nor is it useful, to rehash discussions here
> especially when people like you labels something as "utterly stupid"
Yes, I find this "utterly stupid" because I fail to see any problem this
solves and only see "problems this introduces".

I am still missing an answer from any of these highly respected GUI devs
telling me which USER problem they are solving.

The only argument I can imagine is: "Intuition of dirnames" - What they
miss:

* This had not been an issue to Linux/Unix users ever since
Linux/Unix-GUIs exists.
* This might only be an issue to Windows users, who expect Linux/Unix to
mimic Windows.

Technically, all this does is introducing another layer of complexity.

> instead of, say, doing his homework and reading the discussions that
> already took place in a much better forum e.g. xdg-list.
Quite simple, I dislike this (IMO completely useless mal-) feature they
want to introduce. I am inclined to consider this to be a "cargo-cult",
as somebody recently named such Linux developments on another Fedora
list.

Ralf