User directories integration - request for help

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Mar 17 04:35:34 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 00:27 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 04:51 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > Again: if you have an opinion then participate upstream because that is
> > > where we want to solve a problems if possible. Developers in general are
> > > not happy to repeat the same answers over and over again especially to
> > > people "too busy" to participate in the right forum.
> > You've got it, I don't have the time to participate "in every possible,
> > arbitrary GUI-forum". But I am taking myself the time to warn Fedora
> > devs when a Fedora dev wants to push something into Fedora, "because
> > some upstream" says so.
>
> If you had bothered to read the thread on xdg-list (which would have
> taken less than an hour) you would have found that the "Fedora dev [who]
> wants to push something into Fedora" is the same person who proposed the
> this solution on xdg-list and, for the record, got lots of feedback from
> people affiliated with KDE, XFCE, SUSE, Mandriva, Red Hat, LTSP and
> others. In the same breath, Alex (aka the "Fedora dev"), is upstream for
> the Gnome bits (Nautilus and the VFS) using this proposal.
I am well aware, who this Fedora dev is - It is exactly the reason why I
spoke up now.

I say: Alex, Matthias wake up and take off your shades. You are going to
commit something "stupid"!

> It's fine to give feedback on what is flowing into Fedora (because
> sometimes we want to change defaults), this is partly what we do on this
> list and the Project encourages it, but if you do so without having done
> your homework about you're just wasting lots of peoples time.
I did read the link you gave, and saw a GUI focused community nodding
off an "seemingly innocent" proposal, without fundamental discussion.

I say: They missed the lack of usefulness, because they are too focused.

Ralf