repoview in our repositories

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Sat Mar 17 10:41:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:22:01 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 15:44 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > After some modifications in repoview, here's what it could look like:
> >
> > http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/plague-results/repoview-test/repodata/
> >
> > http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/plague-results/repoview-test/repodata/repoview/pbzip2.html
> >
> > *** Note that the download links to the packages don't work, as above URL
> > is not a full repository.
>
> Did you pass these modification upstream to the repoview maintainer?

Yes, yesterday. Plus the original post went to him via Cc. ;)

> I'm sure Icon would take a look at them.

My current proof-of-concept patch collection and changes summary is this:
http://home.arcor.de/ms2002sep/tmp/repoview.patch

It reduces the size of repoview a tiny bit even. Making it a clean patch
that adds the different package view as an option would require a lot of
work, which I doubt would be worthwhile (considering the problems with
the old structure and user interface).

Example for Fedora Extras 6 x86_64 + SRPMS here:
http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/plague-results/repoview-test/6/

One thing I'm still not sure about is what package details to display?
Listing Vendor or Packager is not interesting when the values are
constants (at least for Fedora) and when a changelog is printed.

I think Repoview is great for browsing the package groups, reading the
package descriptions, learning about the package names, available
versions, but it should not touch the area of old rpmfind, which listed
low-level dependencies and other low-level details.