User directories integration - request for help

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Sat Mar 17 14:21:14 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 10:05 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 06:57:53AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > Wait, when did the world switch to using English as a universal language?
> > Since when has "Desktop", "Mail" or "News" been an issue?
>
> For a lot of cultures they are. But having 'name of the week' and magic
> gconf links doens't solve the problem either it makes it worse.

agree

> Having them set at first login (first not every) when your account gets
> all the desktop setup works as they then keep stable names. Having the
> ability in Nastilus to do
>
> 	right-click->Make this the default for->[Downloads|Photos|Music...]
>
> lets you do any renaming in a natural discoverable fashion

+1 I want to be able to decide what names these folders have, or if I
want them at all (I'd probably choose not to have them, or to put them
in a place and in a language of my own)

Connecting them to the locale Is very stupid. I use when I install,
because I can't stand the way most of the things are translated in
Italian, but then I use some Italian names for some of my folders.

I would get really really mad if switching english->italian->english I'd
found out that some smart utility changed my folder names!

> Having them change name between languages (which may vary) is dumb, but
> the XDG folk are IMHO at least right tht this isn't good enough.
>
> A lot of cultures don't even use the same symbols as are found in "Mail" etc
> let alone the words.

+1 Yet another reason to add eventually emblems and not make some magic
association.