User directories integration - request for help

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Sat Mar 17 14:55:51 UTC 2007

lør, 17 03 2007 kl. 09:56 -0400, skrev Alan Cox:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:33:07PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Again: if you have an opinion then participate upstream because that is
> > where we want to solve a problems if possible. Developers in general are
> > not happy to repeat the same answers over and over again especially to
> > people "too busy" to participate in the right forum.
>
> I believe the word for that is "Arrogance". Let me rephrase it
>
> "Developers are too busy doing what they think is right to listen to anyone
>  who will actually have to use their stuff"
>
> Thats also known as "not doing your research"

Okay, let me inject, as a user of a i18n enabled desktop, my honest
opinion. I hate every English folder name imposed on me, I'd love for
everything to be neat and if possible dynamic not to mention translated.
I consider it a bug in an application when it hardcodes an English
folder name just to be sure it knows where to put stuff (Like f-spot
does).

I'm not convinced this solution is the best one but it's at least
taking, for once, into consideration the fact that there are a shitload
of people who don't speak English or do but prefer to use their native
language on their desktop.

So here's one user, very thankful for developments in this area, it has
been talked about for years and Alex had the balls to try a solution. I
couldn't care less if it turns out to be a slightly bad one or we decide
to replace it at some later stage, at least there's now code so we can
test the concept instead if bickering about it. Let's try it out, if
there's a Wiki page up somewhere to say how to enable this on an
existing account I'll gladly start testing it out.

Let's get some real metrics in, have users try this out and see what
they think.

- David Nielsen

--
"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible
propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.”