too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Mon Mar 19 10:05:10 UTC 2007

Hi Rahul!

On 03/19/2007 10:51 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Been fiddling with a installation of Fedora 7 Test 2 from the Live CD
> and it still enables way too may daemons by default. The following
> deserve special mention.
>
> Hardware specific - Bluetooth (along with hidd), cups (FC6 even had
> smartcard daemon by default). Should check and enable on demand

Hm. Sounds good, shouldn't be enabled by default; Not only on the LiveCD...

> Definitely superfluous - firstboot, livecd. Should disable after first
> run completely or even remove the packages.
>
> Extra - cpuspeed.

This one makes sense on laptops, doesn't it? I wouldn't disable that
one. Or only if there's some way to check if the cpu supports it or not.
If not I wouldn't even install it.

 > mdmonitor, netfs

Yes, also think these shouldn't be enabled; Or installed...

 > ntpd,

I would let this one. Time synchronization makes sense.

 > portmap. Can't see a reason to enable these by default.

Maybe.

[ ... ]

Just my 2 cent...

-of