Where Do I Debug Issues With An App Packaged By Fedora?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 19 13:15:48 UTC 2007

Timothy Spaulding wrote:
> I'm an engineer and a user of Fedora.  I've used Fedora at work for years now.  Recently, I've run
> into some problems using Evolution with our corporate exchange server.  Figuring this was my
> chance to get involved with the community, I started digging into the Fedora and Gnome projects
> trying to figure out how to proceed.  The big question I have is:  Which project should I start
> with?
>
> Fedora packages Evolution, but as I understand it, doesn't really add anything to its development
> other than bug reports and some fixes.  Would it be more appropriate to start by installing the
> development versions of Evolution from Gnome?  Should I start by installing from rawhide?
>
> How do you make a decision about where to start debugging?  Also, I'd love to hear anyone's
> strategies with debugging a specific application on Fedora without disrupting the rest of the
> machine.

If you are looking to debug Evolution on Fedora and report bugs, see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces. Evolution is minimally
patched is Fedora. If you are looking to contribute to code development
running the latest version from CVS/SVN from upstream and reporting
bugs/ sending patches there would be better.

Rahul