too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Mon Mar 19 20:25:30 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>>> Yes, They are. For a desktop. A Live CD is targeted at the desktop.
>>> Nothing else.
>>
>> Bzzt. Lots of things on the desktop require a working clock (try to
>> unsync
>> yours and watch havoc breaking loose)
>
> Working clock is a requirement. Not ntpd. There is a difference.
>
> , cpuspeed is a requirement on
>> laptops and nice-to-have on every recent desktop system (a hot mobo is a
>> loud mobo, people like hearing their ogg files too)
>
> They are not required to be enabled on every system. Only on laptops.

This is completely and utterly untrue. Cpuspeed will save resources and
reduce heat on any supported system. Cpuspeed should be installed and
enabled on *ALL* systems (that support it). The only place where it
could theoretically be a bad thing would be on HPC nodes, and the
ondemand governor is probably fast enough that this is PURELY a
theoretical issue. Hey - We may actually be saving trees/whales here!

> , and killing mdadm
>> removes access to parts of the disks (md is used on desktops, and live
>> cds
>> are used on systems with a linux version on disc)
>
> Remember that Live CD dont support upgrades. You can only target first
> time user's with them as of now.

The Live CD could prove useful as a handdy rescue system complete with
GUI, browsers and such - But not if you can't see your storage devices.

> Rahul

/Thomas