too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Mar 20 04:36:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 18:04 +0100, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> writes:
>
> > I.e. I'd claim Fedora to require a
> > minimum bandwidth: ~300kb/s
> > recommended bandwidth >= 1000kb/s
>
> 350 kbps = ~ 3.5 GB a day.

In an ideal world, yes.

=> ~1GB / working day (8hrs)

=> < ~500MB per "uptime" for users booting for "a couple of hours a
day".

In practice, real world bandwidth is below this.

>  Not sure what problems are you talking about.
If you update an existing Fedora installation once a week, you'll
observe one update to typically be in the order of "some
100MBs" (occasionally several 100MBs).

> Slow mirrors maybe?
Yes, this is one issue, but there are others.

For example:
* broken mirrors
* periodic interrupts on DSL each 24hrs (=> Downloading isos is a matter
of syncs between these interrupts)
* other network load (downloading isn't the only usage of a system)
* mirrors being updated (and temporarily corrupted) right midst of a
"yum update".

>  Your fast connection wouldn't make them faster.
Sorry - No, bandwidth makes a HUGE difference.

The whole "way of working with Fedora" changes upon available bandwidth.

> I suspect some location-related problems (does the mirror list differs
> based on IP/reverse DNS name/etc?). Or maybe your DSL line is way
> slower than marketed? With my 512 kbps DSL I can easily get the 64-bit
> DVD image in 24 hrs, let alone openoffice.
Now change to some X000 DSL - You'll probably very soon notice what I
said above.

Or change to ISDN/modem ... (ca. 1/10th of the bandwidth you currently
have) - Any major update is becoming a killer, in such situations.

> Perhaps you should switch to night updates?
If yum was working reliable, this would have been an option to me.

I resorted to "weekly updates" on weekends and "selective updates"
throughout weekdays.

Ralf