too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Mar 20 10:08:21 UTC 2007

Jarod Wilson wrote :

> > Perhaps a new third result for initscripts.  Instead of just [ok] or
> > [Failed], maybe a new one like [Unneeded] or [N/A] or something.
>
> We already have a 3rd result, 'warning', but...

We also have that yellow [PASSED] :-)
I have no idea what the initial idea behind it was. Maybe notting knows.

> > Might help people realize that these things are running instead of
> > giving them the impression that they are running and using system
> > resources.
>
> ...Meh. I prefer what we do w/cpuspeed right now. If the support isn't
> there, we silently exit. We never even print out a "starting cpuspeed:"
> or any status.

This can be a little confusing from a user perspective : "I enabled the
service, so why doesn't it start when I boot?". But scripts wanting to
do this could easily put useful information into /var/log/messages.

A possible solution for "on demand" services would be :
- If the service is disabled, never run it.
- If the service is enabled :
  - If the relevant hardware is present, start the service
  - If the relevant hardware isn't present, skip starting the service

Then once all the hooks are present to be able to start/stop services
upon hot (un)plugging devices, start/stop the service when detecting
the device's addition or removal, if the service is enabled.

That way we can keep useful services "enabled" by default, although
they'll only actually run if/when the relevant devices are detected.
And we still leave experienced users a way to completely disable
services they wouldn't want running for whatever reason.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6
Load : 0.63 0.30 0.31