too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

Krzysztof Halasa khc at pm.waw.pl
Tue Mar 20 17:46:49 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> writes:

> => < ~500MB per "uptime" for users booting for "a couple of hours a
> day".
>
> In practice, real world bandwidth is below this.

Still more than enough for a weekly update, right?
Of course, using delta would make things much faster and (if working
correctly) would be appreciated by both clients and mirrors.

> If you update an existing Fedora installation once a week, you'll
> observe one update to typically be in the order of "some
> 100MBs" (occasionally several 100MBs).

Quite possible.

> Now change to some X000 DSL - You'll probably very soon notice what I
> said above.

I have Fedora boxes connected with XX Mbps Ethernet, but since there
is no problem with my home 512 kbps DSL (previously 128 and 256), there
is none with these on Ethernet either.

> Or change to ISDN/modem ... (ca. 1/10th of the bandwidth you currently
> have) - Any major update is becoming a killer, in such situations.

ISDN/modem, i.e., dialup connection with per minute fee? Sure, that's
different story, the updates are just too expensive on that. BTW: I've
been using such dialups for years, before DSL and similar cheaper
services became available. The key word here is "price per minute",
not "speed".
--
Krzysztof Halasa