Quota per directory

Ahmed Kamal email.ahmedkamal at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 21 08:14:03 UTC 2007

Coming from a systems administration background, I was very surprised to
find out that fedora (well Linux actually) doesn't have a per directory
quota. It is very common and needed IMHO to have a quota per directory, as
the directory basically represents a project some people are working on. One
would want to make sure that a certain project would not consume all disk
space. Only XFS seemed to have per "project" quota (I even think the Linux
implementation doesn't have that!)

Is there any technical reason why ext3 does not offer such functionality, or
has it just not been done? Is anyone aware of any patches to add such
functionality?