SSH on by default? (Was: too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd)

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 19:10:28 UTC 2007

On 3/21/07, Alexander Boström <abo at kth.se> wrote:
> tis 2007-03-20 klockan 21:53 +0100 skrev Thomas M Steenholdt:
>
> > However, since we're talking about the default configuration
> > here, I feel this would make it "too hard" to get sshd set up initally.
> >   If we disable password auth completely, we would have to manually put
> > public keys in place via USB keys or something. That's too much work.
>
> Yes, correct, an ssh server that's on by default but with password auth
> disabled is pointless, because it's completely unusable. There's no
> point in requiring people to fiddle with it to make it work. Either you
> leave it in a usable state by default or you disable it completely by
> default.

How about 'on' by default, but a page in first boot turns if 'off' by
default? So the gurus who don't see firstboot, but will liikely need
ssh will have it on.  But the newbies who don't know what ssh is, will
leave firstboot to turn it off, while those of us inbetween will have
the choice.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud