rawhide report: 20070327 changes

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 10:46:45 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 12:35 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 27.03.2007 12:08, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 06:03 -0400, buildsys at redhat.com wrote:
> >> hal-0.5.9-0.git20070326.fc7
> >> ---------------------------
> >> * Mon Mar 26 2007 David Zeuthen <davidz at redhat.com> -
> >> 0.5.9-0.git20070326
> >> - Update to hal 0.5.9rc2 and hal-info-20070326
> > These *need* to be split into separate SRPMS. I don't mind
> > co-maintaining these if you want, but if we are updating machine quirks
> > once a month or so, [...]
>
> BTW regarding all those machine quirks to make suspend "simply work":
>
> - is there any coordination with the people behind s2ram?

Well, the DMI whitelist is based on the s2ram whitelist. We're hoping to
standardise on XML descriptions for both s2ram and HAL.

> - for the video related quirks: are you differentiating if the systems
> where those quirks got tested run
>  -- vesa framebuffer
>  -- chip-specific framebuffer driver
>  -- plain vga (vga=0)
>  on the console and
>  -- free X drivers
>  -- proprietary display drivers

Yes we can, as we can match the driver in the HAL fdi.  As for the other
stuff, I don't know. We can tweak this stuff easily with a hal-info
update.

>  in X? Especially using plain VGA or framebuffer seems to influence the
> options that are needed to bring the video device back to work a lot in
> my experience.

That's the plan. Without X we are sunk.

>   Side note: Ubuntu and Suse both use framebuffer, Fedora a plain text
> console normally; so a quirk that works on Fedora maybe doesn't help on
> Suse (or the other way around).

Well, all this is very new. The very least we will achieve is to get
screens to turn back on when they come back from suspend, i.e. to DPMS
on where needed, and to poke vbetool and restore vbestate. Some other
odd quirks like radeontool are present, but completely untested.

> Just wondering. I like the idea to make suspend "simply work" a lot ;-)

You and me both ;-)

Richard.