hplip: hp-toolbox advertising?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 27 14:58:27 UTC 2007

Rex Dieter wrote:

>>> The license of a software has zero effects on the usage of
>> a logo which maybe protected by a trademark.
>
> Yuck, murky waters.  I figured if an icon/logo was included within GPL
> sources, and the GPL allows for unrestricted modification/redistribution,
> we were golden.  Note, we're not talking about modifying the *trademarked*
> item in this case (which I would agree not a good idea), only
> using/displaying it.

Even if a logo is included within GPL'ed source code, the trademark can
still be protected by separate trademark guidelines. Even use of a
trademark in any form can still be restricted.

Similar separate restrictions apply for patents in the case where the
patent holder is the same entity/people involved in the development of
some software although there is some implicit grant under GPLv2 and a
more explicit one under GPLv3 (in the future based on the current drafts).

In case of other permissive licenses such as revised BSD or MIT X11
license you can be sued by the same people for patent infringement who
gave the software under these licenses. Surprised yet?

Rahul