hplip: hp-toolbox advertising?

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Wed Mar 28 08:27:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 20:12 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> As for the actual issue in this thread, I have a suggestion: what about making
> hp-toolbox a separate subpackage of hplip, which is not installed by default,
> but which (when installed) comes with a menu item? That would solve both
> the "vendor-specific menu item forced on everyone" and the "hplip requires
> PyQt" issues.

Yes, this is a good idea.  Originally it was not possible though: the
'pulls in Qt' problem is due to the fact that the hp-toolbox component
could not be separated out from the transport layer without immense
pain.  When I pointed this out upstream they said they would look at
addressing that.

Current versions seem to have a '--enable-gui-build', so it might now
have been addressed.  The Qt problem is on the F7 Target list so when I
get some HPLIP time I'll take another look at that.

Tim.
*/